VS2012 support

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Hi,

Is the component supported on VS2012 BI templates ? When I try to configure the component I've got the following message:

TITLE: Microsoft Visual Studio

Value of 'null' is not valid for 'stream'.

BUTTONS:

OK

===================================

Value of 'null' is not valid for 'stream'. (Microsoft Visual Studio)

Program Location:

at System.Drawing.Icon..ctor(Stream stream, Int32 width, Int32 height)
at System.Drawing.Icon..ctor(Stream stream, Size size)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.IntegrationServices.Designer.Common.ImageSourceHelper.GetIconFromResource(Assembly assembly, String resourceName, Boolean isLarge)
at Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Design.DesignUtils.ExtractManagedBitmap(String fileName, String resName, Boolean large)
at Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Design.DesignUtils.ExtractBitmap(String fileName, String iconResource, Boolean isNative, Boolean large)
at Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Design.PipelineUtils.GetComponentIcon(IDTSComponentMetaData100 componentMetadata, IServiceProvider serviceProvider)
at Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Design.FunctionLevelMappingUI..ctor(FunctionLevelComponentUI componentUI, IUserPromptService promptService)
at Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Design.FunctionLevelComponentUI.EditImpl(IWin32Window parentControl)
at Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Design.DtsComponentUI.Edit(IWin32Window parentWindow, Variables variables, Connections connections)
Coordinator
Apr 26, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Hi,
My understanding is that SSIS is historically one version behind the current release of Visual Studio.
So if you are using SQL 2012, you will need to use SQL Data Tools, which are based on VS 2010.
I hope this makes sense.
Alex.
Apr 26, 2013 at 9:03 PM
No you can install the SQL DataTools for VS 2012. It's a download http://www.microsoft.com/fr-fr/download/details.aspx?id=36843 :) (released one month ago)
Coordinator
Apr 29, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Thanks Jeanb, you are right now we can use VS 2012 with SSIS.
I just tested the component using the new tools and it worked fine.
When I look at the error message you posted, it seems that the error comes from the Development Environment (when System.Drawing.Icon looks for some icon ) rather then from the component itself. If I were to guess, some dll is missing from your install. Could you try on a different box?
Alex.
Oct 20, 2015 at 1:10 PM
Hi,
I know this is a rather old post, but I have the same problem as Jeanb. I also get the exact same error.

I have tried installing SQL Server 2012 on two servers and I have Visual Studio 2010 and Visual Studio 2012 on both servers. The results are equal on both servers.

And the problem occurs only in VS 2012 applications. Not on VS2010 where it works. It is even the same package I try to open.

I have also tried creating a new package in VS2012 with same failure as result. And creating a package in VS2010 works, but fails when trying to open LDAP Source in VS2012.

As I am using SQL Server 2012 I have downloaded LDAP SSIS Source Component 1.4.0.6 for SQL 2012.
Ole